One of the least known areas in the Algarve is also one of the most beautiful. Imagine yourself standing on a hill, looking down on the turquoise river that meanders through the landscape. No houses, no people. Completely silent except from some birds that remind you about all the nature life that we so often forget to appreciate. You will experience moments like this many times during the trips!
The Barragems (dams) are first of all an important water reserve for the whole of the Algarve. They meander through the wild landscape like blue dragons. The water is completely clean and it’s hard to imagine that this silent paradise hides only 30 minutes from the lively seafront areas.
We drive on small roads around the area, among hills of Cork trees and Medronhos. There will be plenty of stops to take photos and just embrace the view and clear air. This is definitely a road trip where the actual drive is as wonderful as the stops.
Down by the crystal-clear water, a nice picnic with sandwiches, wine and local products will be served. To sit in this environment and eat, is an amazing experience!
You also have the opportunity to swim in the warm water before we continue through this hidden wilderness between the medieval town Silves and Sao Bartolomeu de Messines.
You will have some time to walk around in the picturesque alleys of the cosy villages Paderne and Alte. You can buy local products and feel the atmosphere of the typical Portuguese every day life.
We will have a late lunch in a local restaurant.
We start around 9 am and you will be home again around 6-7 pm.
Duration: 9 hours
- Pick up and drop off anywhere in the Algarve. The route will be tailored depending on where you have your accommodation to make sure you get as much wow as possible.
- Many Wow views and locations that few people get the possibility to see. A road trip that you will remember and that you couldn’t have found by yourself.
- A luxury picnic lunch surrounded by nature with sandwiches, traditional Portuguese cake/pastry, high quality Portuguese wine, cheese and other delicacies. Quality coffee from Al-Gharb Coffee Roastery, tea, water, fresh juice.
- Short surprise experiences. For example, see and feel the cork trees and the raw material, picking fruit by season, make your own fresh eucalyptus tea and much more depending on season and route.
- Comfortable car, fuel, driving. In a 6 hours day we drive around 250 km. The time in the car is a part of the whole experience – magic views, narrow beautiful roads and inspiring conversations.
- Personal and passionate guiding. Information about the locations, the nature, the Portuguese life and culture. Ask whatever you want during the road trip and I promise to try to answer or find the answer for you.
- Snacks to keep the energy up all day.
- Pictures from the road trip will be sent to you shortly after your own Wow day.